2018. október 26., péntek

The Walking Dead 9x03 Warning Signs


Going into the new season of a beloved TV show knowing that not only one, but two of your favourite characters will be gone by the end is tough. If it was up to me, I would forbid actors and writers to spoil things like this beforehand, because really, what’s the point? Don’t you want your audience to be surprised and outraged when it happens? That’s like the best part of watching any TV show: the fucking plot twists. And while killing off Rick Grimes might not have been such a big twist four seasons ago, it damn well it is NOW. For my part I always thought Rick would die eventually and Carl would take over his legacy, but now that Carl is dead, Rick might as well be invincible… and THAT’S why it would have been the mother of all surprises if he just… died. And then Andrew Lincoln would have been like „Guess what my dudes, I knew this would happen a year ago when I quit my job, but I kept it a secret for all these months because I didn’t want to spoil it for you”. Wouldn’t that have been neat? I can’t believe they cheated me out of it.

As for Maggie/Lauren Cohan, well, her new pilot getting picked up was clue enough, but that doesn’t mean it will hurt any less when she eventually bows out of The Walking Dead. I’m just kinda hoping against all hope that she won’t actually die but instead give up her place in the group and retire to a tree house with her baby to live out their lives in peace, because I don’t think I can take little orphan Judith AND orphan baby Hershel too. I mean look at him:


He’s the best. Don’t do this to me.

ANYWAY. Season 9 has been fun so far, you guys! It’s all about the different communities working together so they can create a better, more peaceful, longer-lasting life for themselves and their child… no, wait, this is not one of Rick’s daydreams. The show’s reality is a little bit more complicated. For starters, one of those different communities is the Sanctuary, full of wannabe-Saviors who learned nothing from the ass-whooping they got last season and who still pine for Negan! Aw, that’s cute. But I don’t blame those members of the other groups (Alexandria, Hilltop, the Kingdom, and Oceanside) who want nothing to do with these idiots. It’s a shame they’re giving everyone in their community a bad name though, because logically speaking there should be a whole lot of them who were only coerced into doing Negan’s bullshit bidding, and who didn’t gleefully execute innocents like that trashbag Simon, may God piss on his soul.

But tell that to Maggie and you would find yourself speaking to a wall. Relations between her and Rick are not as tense as I expected them to be, indeed nothing resembling an all-out revolt against his leadership or a silent assassination of Negan in his cell went down in the past 18 months we missed, but Rick and his philosophy for the new world are standing on thin ice as far as Maggie (and Daryl) is concerned. Now that she’s the actual elected leader of Hilltop, she begrudges every piece of food and supplies that has to go to the Sanctuary while her people barely get by, and she’s not helped by the likes of Gregory talking shit about her behind her back. The old fart is a sore loser all right, and when he actually gets a grieving father to attack and try to kill Maggie while she’s out on a nightly walk with her son, that’s one step way too far. Maggie has him strung up in front of a watching crowd, signalling the beginning of new rules at Hilltop. Some people take this to heart, including the Ocenside ladies who start kidnapping ex-Saviours and executing them Maggie-style. One of them was new guy Justin, played by Zach McGowan (Captain Vane from Black Sails, which I still have to finish goddammit, and more recently Prince Roan from The 100), who I was really excited to see because I didn’t know he’d been cast in this show, but alas he only lasted one episode. His character was shaping up to be a right asshole though, so it’s probably for the best. I’m just hoping he can snag a regular role somewhere else soon because I’d love to have him on my screen permanently. 

Elsewhere, Father Gabriel got himself romantically entangled with Jadis/Anne/Garbage Lady, but he soon realized she’s not exactly what she seems. Remember that helicopter showing up out of nowhere last season? Turns out Anne had been communicating with whoever was on it, trading people for supplies for her Scavengers community. Rick was supposed to be one of the tradees, that’s why she stored him in a container marked A. A and B are these people’s codes for… something, leaders and submissive types maybe? Anne tells Gabriel that she thought he was an A too before knocking him out, after he confronts her about her little secret. Now she’s on a mission to capture an A that she can trade for a ride on the helicopter, off to a better life. So now I’m thinking this is the way Maggie goes, not with a bang walker bite, but by being whisked off to who knows where to be experimented on maybe. But that’s just speculation.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése