2015. április 13., hétfő

The Originals 2x17 The Exquisite Corpse


Here’s a fun fact about The Originals: I can’t remember the last time they had an episode I didn’t like. This is something I honestly never expected to say back when the show started. We were just after The Vampire Diaries’ worst season to date, I couldn’t recall a single thing from the utterly boring backdoor pilot, and as an avid Klaus-hater I didn’t really look forward to watching a show centered entirely around him. The only reason I even started the show is because the creators promised TVD crossovers, and because I liked Elijah and Rebekah enough to want to see more of them. So no one was more surprised than me when somewhere around the middle of the season I found myself looking forward to it every week more than I looked forward to TVD. Elijah and Hayley quickly became two of my favourite characters ever, I became invested in the lives of minor characters like Marcel, Cami or Davina, I even started to tolerate Klaus a little bit, and the whole atmosphere and plot and mythology and just about everything on the show was way better than season 5 of TVD. Now, it’s true that season 6 has been fantastic so far and I thorougly enjoy the new episodes of the mother-show again, but I still place The Originals just a little bit higher on my current toplist, so much so that it’s usually the show that I look forward to the second most every week, beaten only by my nr. 1 favourite show, Once Upon a Time.

Taking all this into account, it’s not very surprising that I absolutely loved this week’s episode as well. It had pretty much everything that makes up a great episode for me: fast-paced action, suspense, new additions to the show’s mythology, a little bit of relationship drama, fantastic acting from multiple castmembers, and some truly brilliant character moments. The episode also saw the end of the thankfully not too long-lived Eva Sinclair storyline, for which I am very grateful because it not only means that we got Rebekah back, but also that we can finally start focusing on the whole Freya/Dahlia plot, which I assume is going to make up the majority of the remaining five episodes of the season. Before this episode we didn’t get to see much of Eva, apart from those brief moments when she temporarily gained back the control of her body and went around town terrorizing children, but this week she was back in full force, and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of her presence. The credit for that, of course, goes to the wonderful Maisie Richardson-Sellers, who not only owns her role as the new Rebekah so much that at this point I would very much like her to stay forever, but apparently also does a crazy-good performance in an evil role as well. I looked her up after I finished watching the episode to see what else could I watch her in, and according to IMDb this is her first ever major role, which just makes her even more amazing in my eyes. I was thrilled to find out, however, that she appears to have a role in Star Wars VII, so I’m probably not exaggerating when I say that she is definitely an actress to look out for in the future. I know I will.



But back to the episode. After Josephine shed some light on Eva’s true purpose with the kidnapped children – sacrificing a child from each of the nine covens of New Orleans to create a new witch order and make herself its all-powerful leader, a ritual also known as the Rite of Nines – our (anti-)heroes set out to stop her once and for all, and rescue Davina and the other witch-kids in the process. The problem was, of course, that they couldn’t harm her in any physical way, without also losing Rebekah. This is where Freya came into the picture, being the only witch powerful enough to do the necessary spell, which involved sending someone inside Eva/Rebekah’s mind to kill the former and thus allow the latter to live. Sounds simple enough, but matters were complicated by Vincent’s apparent betrayal and Klaus’ refusal to be Freya’s anchor, aka the person who keeps her from dying during the ritual while also allowing her to be privy to all the secrets and plots-in-progress his mind has to offer. You can’t really blame someone like Klaus for not being willing to do that, and thankfully Elijah worked just as well as Freya’s anchor.

The whole Freya vs. Klaus business was further complicated when he took his sister to the newly vampified Esther, who I quite honestly completely forgot about… unlike Freya, who still blamed her for her miserable life as Dahlia’s quasi-slave, and at the very end of the episode finally got her revenge by killing her mother. Who knows if this is the last we’ve ever seen of Esther – knowing this franchise, it probably isn’t-, but I’m sure as hell not going to miss her. And it looks like we don’t need her around as a villain any longer either, because Freya will do just fine in that role for the rest of the season. Because someone whose ultimate goal is to turn his family against Klaus simply because she knows he would never become her ally is supposed to be seen as a villain on this show, right? Honestly, I don’t really know what to think about this just yet. Her line of reasoning doesn’t make much sense to me, and in any case I would like to think she would stand on the good side once Dahlia inevitably arrives. The question of how big of a villain Freya can be under the circumstances is still up in the air, but I’m very excited to find out the answer.

In lighter news, Elijah and Gia seem to be doing just fine together. I surprised even myself last week when I realized how much I don’t mind, and, in fact, actually like them being together. Seeing as I hardcore root for Hayley and Elijah to work things out, get together and live happily ever after into eternity, this is a really weird feeling for me… but Hayley is married to another dude at the moment and I really like Gia, plus she and Elijah have insane chemistry together, and I can’t help but go where the chemistry leads me. I liked the awkward moment when the three of them were waiting for Josephine, and I absolutely loved the girls’ little talk later in the episode. If everything goes well and the writers don’t ruin it suddenly in the next few episodes – and I trust them enough to think that they won’t - I’m very much here for this particular love triangle (quadrangle if you count Jackson, but let’s not).

Last but not least, I mentioned Vincent’s „betrayal” in passing and I don’t think I need to elaborate on it, but I still want to say one thing: I really like Vincent. After almost an entire season of Finn wearing his face and doing terrible things while doing so, I wasn’t really sure how I felt about him suddenly teaming up with the main characters, but I warmed up to him extremely fast. I can’t tell you how relieved I was when he knocked Eva over the head and thus cemented himself on the good side, and I was literally on the edge of my seat when I thought he was going to die inside Eva’s mind. But he didn’t, and I’m thrilled to welcome him as the newest member of Team Good. First Rebekah 2.0, now Vincent - what a wonderful season for the new actors on this show.

And what a wonderful episode all around. Thank you, The Originals, for making me excited for Mondays week after week.

Episode MVP: Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Rebekah Mikaelson/Eva Sinclair

Quote of the episode:
"There's a saying in my family: Kill a demon today, face the devil tomorrow. Yet even as you dance on that demon's grave, you can't help but wonder, was that demon alone? Or do you have other, deadlier ones to fight? And though you celebrate having won the battle, have you really prepared for the war? So as we dress ourselves in the armour needed for this new fight, we must first tend to our wounds, starting with the deepest." – Rebekah Mikaelson

Random tidbits:
 - Cami was absent again this week, and I can’t help but wonder how much longer can they keep her around as the only human in the main cast. Then again, I’ve had the same fears about Matt in TVD for the past three or so seasons, and he seems to be doing just fine.

 - Baby Hope with her little stuffed wolf.
















Enough said.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése