2015. április 17., péntek

Revenge 4x19 Exposure


I think it’s safe to say that I haven’t been this excited for an upcoming episode of Revenge since this season’s premiere. Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, and this season, for the most part, has been wonderful... it’s just never been that „oh my God, I can’t wait for next week” kinda show for me, you know? Maybe because I watched the first three seasons last summer in only a couple of weeks’ time so for me the whole waiting for next week business only started in September... anyway, what I am trying to say is, I was incredibly excited for this episode after the one last week ended with Emily telling the truth about her real identity to the whole wide world. Where can the show go after a shock like that? Well, I had no idea, but I couldn’t wait to find out.

So imagine my surprise when after the promise of a very interesting new plot – Emily’s victims trying to get back at her, which by the way would have been infinitely more entertaining to watch than whatever Margaux is up to at any given point – the episode quickly turned into a clipshow-like series of flashbacks. I know that many people hate clipshow episodes (if it’s made up of clips we’ve already seen, that is), thinking that it’s a waste of time and just a convenient way for the writers to not have to do too much work for that week, but I’m not one of those people. For me a good flashback episode can be incredibly satisfying, and this, I’m thrilled to say, might just have been the best that I’ve ever seen.



But first, before I go deeper into the flashbacks, let’s take a look at what was actually happening in the present. Louise, upset with Nolan for not telling her the truth about Emily, turned to Victoria with the flashdrive that contained, according to Nolan, six folders of information about all the illegal things Emily did in order to bring down those who’ve wronged her father. Victoria, of course, planned to divulge all of that information to the media, but luckily Emily got there first... but not before she had lain into Nolan pretty hard for being so careless with her secrets. I felt really bad for Nolan in this scene, while at the same time also understanding Emily’s fear and frustration. Having finally be allowed to breathe after four years of pain and secrecy, only to see your newfound freedom threatened almost immediately... it’s understandable that she flipped out. Still, the next scene with Nolan burning their little whale figurine/camera, and his heart-to-heart with Jack about how he feels like he’s no longer going to be a part of Emily’s life, was heartbreaking. However, by the end of the episode he seems to have overcome those feelings, and his statement that "She's not revenging anymore, she's just our Amanda now." was equally heartwarming and adorable.

Elsewhere, Margaux seemed to have finally come to her senses, telling Victoria the truth about her accident, and asking her to leave Emily alone... only to change her mind completely by the end of the episode, urging Victoria to take revenge. Sure, Emily said some pretty nasty things about Victoria in her TV interview, but the thing is, they were either true, or she thought they were. I’m not sure how much Emily knows about Victoria’s childhood and the circumstances of that muder she was forced to admit to, but in the end it doesn’t really matter. Victoria DID murder Aiden, and that’s a fact. She also had Emily locked up in a mental institution as a child, and did countless other horrible things that I can’t recall right now but I know they happened, otherwise I wouldn’t hate her so much. It’s actually pretty incredible but Victoria Grayson is probably the only villain I can think of right now who I don’t feel even a little bit of sympathy for, no matter how hard the writers tried to sell me on her sad childhood. So when I saw that shot of Margaux making a really angry face while Emily talked shit about Victoria, I was really hoping that she was angry at Victoria because she finally saw her for what she really is. But nope, she was angry at Emily, and thus Margaux’s plan for revenge lives on. Yawn.

Now, about those flashbacks... did I mention how much I loved them already? Because I did. This might be a weird thing to say because I have been watching this show for less than 12 months so it’s not like it’s been four years since I saw Emily’s first footsteps in her „revengenda” like it probably has been for most other fans, but watching her take down her first victims again made me feel really nostalgic. What I loved the most though was the compilation of important moments of Emily and those closest to her: Nolan, Aiden, Jack, David, and Amanda... oh, and Sammy of course! It was also nice seeing that the show hasn’t completely forgotten about Charlotte’s existence. Not that I miss her or anything, but for those few seconds I was happy to see her too. There were also a few flashbacks of Victoria’s side of the story, which, for me, made a nice contrast between Emily’s actual victims, and her „victims”, aka those whose death Victoria blames Emily for, like Pascal or Daniel. These were brought up by her to prove to Louise what an absolute monster Emily is, and Louise ate it all up, conveniently forgetting that one time when Emily saved her life and helped her get away from her abusive mother, even though she had literally no reason to do so. I would be sad to see Louise succumb to the dark side for the remaining four episodes of the season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers’ plan was, in fact, a Victoria/Margaux/Louise team-up against Emily. Bored and annoyed, yes, but not surprised one bit.

And now let’s talk a little bit about the elephant in the room – whether this upcoming season finale will also be a series finale as well. I think yes. Throughout the whole episode I was getting major series finale vibes, but especially with that final shot of Emily and David on the porch, with her saying "For the first time, I have no idea what's coming next"... indeed, that would have been a perfect shot and line to save for the end of the final episode. Now, this was obviously NOT the final episode, that’s not what I’m saying... but episode 4x23 might just be. And the thing is, I wouldn’t mind. Emily’s revenge has long been complete, she even has her father back now... what’s left for her to achieve? Four episodes is perfectly enough time to kill Victoria, convince Margaux of her stupidity, and tie up all the remaining loose ends. My only wish is that they end it on a happy note – God knows Emily deserves it.

And last but not least, the mystery of who circled Emily’s face in the newspaper... my initial thought was either Lydia, Mason, or Conrad – again, I wouldn’t be surprised if the show pulled yet another „oh, he’s not really dead!” stunt. I also saw people mentioning Ashley’s name so that’s another possibility, but ever since someone reminded me that Emily had previously promised exclusive rights to her life’s story to Mason – a fact that I have completely forgotten about –, and now broke that promise by doing that TV interview, I’m now 90% sure that it’s gonna be Mason. Either way, I’m looking forward to finding out!

Episode MVP: Emily Van Camp as Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke

Quote of the episode:
"She's not revenging anymore, she's just our Amanda now." :’) – Nolan Ross

Random tidbits:
 - You probably noticed it already, but I’m still gonna call her Emily, and not Amanda, for simplicity’s sake. I really liked Nolan’s comment about this though, it almost felt like a little nod to the fans who have been arguing about this for years.

 - "The news is calling her the modern day Monte Cristo." – This line brought a huge smile on my face.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése