2018. november 6., kedd

Top Ten Tuesday 11.06. - Backlist Books I Want to Read


It’s Top Ten Tuesday Time! This was a bit of a tricky topic for me because I wasn’t sure how to interpret the word ’backlist’ at first, and usually just thinking about the books I said I would read but then never got around to it is enough to give me a mild headache. Also since I have way too many unread books both on my Kindle and my Goodreads To Read List, so many it would be impossible to choose just ten of them, I decided to narrow the scope down to „Ten Books Released Earlier in 2018 that I Want to Read Before the Year Ends”. Even that should be difficult enough, not only to select but to actually read... I should really learn the art of selecting a book to read and then actually fucking reading it, is what I’m trying to say. Anyway, here’s my list, you guys! Let me know what you think about any of my choices in the comments.

1. In Byron’s Wake – Miranda Seymour
Lord Byron is one of my favourite poets, and I’ve always found his daughter, Ada Lovelace, to be a fascinating woman. This book promises to teach me more about not only her but her mother too, and I’m here for it.
2. Legendary (Caraval, #2) – Stephanie Garber 
Caraval was one of my favourite books of last year, and I was eager to read its sequel when it came out in the spring... and then I didn’t. Typical. I still really want to, though! 

3. The Romanov Empress - C.W. Gortner
I discovered this book after reading Queen Victoria’s Matchmaking, and I was hoping it would be about Alix, but it turns out the Empress in question here is her mother-in-law. That’s cool with me, too! The more historical figures I can learn about, the better.


4. An Absolutely Remarkable Thing - Hank Green 
I read two John Green books so far, one I hated with a burning passion but the other I liked, so I’m still undecided as to how I feel about him as a writer. Now it’s his brother’s turn to amaze me, and I kind of want to love this book. 

5. A Keeper – Graham Norton
I’ve been watching Graham Norton every week for the last four years or so, and I didn’t have any idea that he was also a writer. I expect his book to be as fantastic as his interviews always are.

6. The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock – Imogen Hermes Gowar
I'll be honest, I don't even remember what this book is about, but it's been on my To Read for ages, and since then it's generated incredible buzz, so now I'm more eager than ever to finally read it. 

7. I Was Anastasia - Ariel Lawhon
The second Romanov book on my list, this time about a more well-known subject. And yet, I'm not exactly sure what this book will be about. Will it acknowledge "Anna Anderson" as an impostor, or will it be more of a "what if?", historical fantasy kind of approach where she really is Anastasia? I'll have to read it to find out.
8. Lady Mary – Lucy Worsley
I adore Lucy Worsley’s TV documentaries, but I’ve never read anyhing she’s written. I think it’s high time I remedy that, and a novel about the breakdown of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon’s marriage narrated by their daughter, the future Mary I, sounds like an excellent place to start. Plus, it was published on my birthday. Better late than never to read it then! 

9. The French Revolution – Stephen Clarke
Stephen Clarke's 1000 Years of Annoying the French is one of my favourite books of all time, so much so that it's barely ever left my bedside since I brought it about eight years ago. I'm not even exaggerating, it's right here next to me this very moment. For some reason, though, I've never read anything else he's written.
10. Meet Me at the Museum - Anne Youngson
This is supposed to be a love story that somehow involves the Tollund Man, and I'm all about him and other bog bodies ever since I wrote my MA thesis on Seamus Heaney's bog poems. Bring on the museum romance!
+1 The Secret Language of Cats: How to Understand Your Cat for a Better, Happier Relationship – Susanne Schotz
This book is coming out exactly today! So it is a bit like cheating to include it on my list, but I couldn’t help it. I adore cats, and although I never had any of my own, I know that I absolutely will one day. It’s out of the question that I won’t. In the meantime, I’m okay with familiarizing with all the strays in the neighbourhood, and reading this book to make sure I don’t fuck up with any of them.


Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése